Skip to main content

Update

Sorry I haven't blogged for so long - been so busy. I'll fill you all in on what's been going on, and after this I won't have much time to post much more this very busy semester.

I've been busy running lots of experiments, designing my new one (very tedious and time consuming) and getting it running. I'm not taking or auditing classes since I'm so busy. I'm also a TA for a discussion section of EdPsych 201 (Prof. Zola's Intro to EdPsych) for the first time. A few weeks ago I had to attend the campus-wide TA orientation (for TAs in the past I had only done dept. orientations). It was like an hour's worth of fun and information crammed into two whole days. Ugh, so boring and tired. Since then I've been super busy. I also have to start analyzing data, applying for jobs, and working on my next few dissertation chapters.

Comments

阿牛 said…
Dear Mr. Lee,

I found your thesis online on the topic of Chinese tone sandhi adn prosody and found it very enlightening. I enjoyed reading it greatly. It also enabled me to put two and two together and notice the regular correspondence between Mandarin and Taiwanese tones. Thank you for your hard work.

--
Jason 孔傑森
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

Evangelicalism's gradual demise

The term "evangelical" was popularized by Martin Luther ("evangelisch" in German), which meant a follower of the gospel. The term was originally a very good and useful term, as it referred to someone who believed in a religion based on faith and following the teachings of Christ, rather than man-made religious rules. It was meaningful enough but also broad enough to encompass a general theological orientation and religious lifestyle. It could include and accommodate somewhat different views or interpretations of Christian belief, including those who focused more on the grace, spirituality and lifestyle of Christ. As such, it was not the exclusive property of one religious group or theological orientation. The meaning has been generally positive in modern church history. However, in recent decades the term has been hijacked by fundamentalists who insist on a narrow interpretation of the term, insisting on a set of specific theological beliefs, while ignoring the C...

Mystical & charismatic Christianity

As a person with charismatic leanings, I have come to prefer Catholic / Anglican / Episcopal forms of charismatic Christianity. As mentioned in my last post, charismatic Catholicism goes way back to the early church, under the rubric of Christian mysticism. The reason I prefer these forms is because they are more balanced. Protestant charismatics and Pentecostals greatly overemphasize things like speaking in tongues, which are really a minor gift. Tongues have been practiced throughout church history, and there is no historical or scriptural basis for the claim that tongues and other charismatic gifts ever ceased*. But they have never been considered "a big deal" or in any way a sign that a person is more spiritual than another who doesn't do tongues or such gifts. Only with the advent of modern charismatic movements did such an extreme emphasis get put on tongues and charismatic gifts. St. Paul commanded us to desire the better gifts - in that context, he was referring t...

Portraits of Christ: John's gospel

John’s Gospel opens with a fascinating prose prologue in chapter 1 that essentially summarizes the themes of the entire book. It introduces Jesus in a manner that emphasizes his deity, then John the Baptist who prepared the way for Jesus’ ministry, and finally, the spiritual essence of Jesus’ public ministry and outreach, and his ultimate rejection. John begins with the language of creation, showing that Jesus was always with the Father, was involved in creation, and was thus eternal. John describes him as the Word ( logos in Greek), which conveys multiple meanings. For Jewish people, it meant the Scriptures, meaning that Jesus himself is the ultimate revelation of God to us, because he himself is God, more so that the written word of God (the Old Testament, at this time). It also reminds Jewish readers of how God spoke the world into existence in Genesis 1, as well as divine wisdom personified in the wisdom literature such as Proverbs (the personification of wisdom in Proverbs ...