Skip to main content

IBM Lotus Symphony - Hardy installer for Ubuntu / Debian / Mint Linux


I recently upgraded my Linux to Ubuntu 12, and I had major difficulties installing the IBM Lotus Symphony. It would not install, complaining about dependencies involving some libnotify program. I found and installed libnotify, but then Lotus would not start up. I found that there's a problem with the currently available Debian installer / program for Lotus, and following some advice I found from my Google search, I tried a previous version of the Lotus installer, and everything seems to work fine. I'm making the installer available here for people who need it, since I can't seem to find it on the IBM website.

 Details: The current installer is designated for the Lucid version of Ubuntu - symphony_3.0.1-1lucid1_i386.deb - for Ubuntu / Debian versions since March 2010. Installing this in the most recent versions of Ubuntu / Mint Linux (versions 12-14) doesn't work for some people, leading to the following error message - or the program simply won't start up.

 ..... dependency not satisfiable: libnotify1 (>=0.4.4)

 There is  a workaround that you can find on a couple of websites, for example, hunting down the libnotify program, installing it, and doing some other tricks to run the Lotus installer. But this didn't work for me. I tried reinstalling Lotus, or doing the workarounds, in KDE, Cinnamon, and Unity, but no luck. So I got the previous installer for Hardy - for Ubuntu flavors going back to 2008, and it worked. It seems the program is buggy and is not compatible with newer flavors of Debian based Linux, but the older installer still works. So here it is for those who need it.

 symphony_3.0-1hardy1_i386.deb  (scroll down for the link)

 BTW, a Google search will turn up other problems with Lotus, like with the 64-bit version, and you can find sites with workarounds or custom-made installer files that people have created for those issues.



Comments

kentlee7 said…
Or better yet, switch to Libre Office 4 (www.libreoffice.org), which is a continuation of the OpenOffice that Symphony was based on. Sadly, IBM no longer plans to continue active development of Symphony.

Popular posts from this blog

Book review: Green Eggs and Ham (Dr. Seuss)

Green eggs and ham, as a recolorized staple breakfast food, captures the reader's attention by turning this diurnal sustenance into an unexpected and apparently unappetizing foodstuff. It thus symbolizes the existential angst of modern life, wherein we are unfulfilled by modern life, and are repelled by something that might impart nourishment. The "protagonist" to be convinced of its desirability remains anonymous, while the other actor refers to himself with an emphatic identifier "Sam I am", formed with a pronominal subject and copular verb of existence. This character thus seeks to emphasize his existence and existential wholeness, and even establish a sense of self-existence, with an apparent Old Testament allusion to Elohim speaking to Moses as the "I Am". This emphatic personal identifier thus introduces a prominent theme of religious existentialism to the narrative, probably more in line with original Kierkegaardian religious existentialism, rat

Portraits of Christ: John’s Gospel, part 2

In John’s Gospel we have an emphasis on Jesus that is unique compared to the other gospels. John not only emphasizes his deity, but his mysteriousness. The reader is left with an impression of Jesus as a mystical teacher, in the sense that his words and actions are not only those of a profound religious teacher, but of one who is other-worldly. So often in this gospel we read of Jesus making statements that the crowds, the religious teachers, and even his own disciples sometimes could not fathom. For starters, there are the “I am” statements (e.g., I am the bread of life; I am the living water; I am the good shepherd; I am the way, the truth, and the life), which were clearly claims to divinity, for these statements in the Jewish context referred to God’s title “I am,” given when Moses inquired of his name at the burning bush. Jesus makes much use of mystical metaphors like these and others, like all the ‘day’ and ‘night’ references in this book, which portrays him as mystical or my