Skip to main content

Faith is...

Faith is what Jesus described as choosing to give up everything to follow him, to be his disciple. That means absolute, full commitment. St. Paul described it in terms of salvation and justification by faith alone. The Old Testament described faith and salvation in terms of the covenant, and also described faith this way:

Hear Oh Israel, the Lord your God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength. [Dt. 6]

The Hebrew word for 'strength' [meh-ode'] is broad in meaning, including "intensity, vehemence; exceedingly, utterly, great(ly)". Biblical faith is passionate, and requires giving your all to God, loving him with your whole being - mentally, psychologically, intellectually, and emotionally, with passion.

Faith or belief in the biblical sense is not just intellectual assent or intellectual belief. Look at the Latin word for 'faith', which gives you a better sense than our modern Western terminology. The Latin verb credo 'to believe' [as in 'creed'] comes from the Old Latin cor + dare, meaning "to give one's heart". Faith means giving God your heart. Giving him your love, passion, all of you. Whether it's salvational faith or the daily practicing faith of a believer, true faith means giving God your heart, giving up everything to follow him. God just wants your heart - all your commitment, passion, desire, and will, intellect and emotion, your whole being.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review: Green Eggs and Ham (Dr. Seuss)

Green eggs and ham, as a recolorized staple breakfast food, captures the reader's attention by turning this diurnal sustenance into an unexpected and apparently unappetizing foodstuff. It thus symbolizes the existential angst of modern life, wherein we are unfulfilled by modern life, and are repelled by something that might impart nourishment. The "protagonist" to be convinced of its desirability remains anonymous, while the other actor refers to himself with an emphatic identifier "Sam I am", formed with a pronominal subject and copular verb of existence. This character thus seeks to emphasize his existence and existential wholeness, and even establish a sense of self-existence, with an apparent Old Testament allusion to Elohim speaking to Moses as the "I Am". This emphatic personal identifier thus introduces a prominent theme of religious existentialism to the narrative, probably more in line with original Kierkegaardian religious existentialism, rat

IBM Lotus Symphony - Hardy installer for Ubuntu / Debian / Mint Linux

I recently upgraded my Linux to Ubuntu 12, and I had major difficulties installing the IBM Lotus Symphony. It would not install, complaining about dependencies involving some libnotify program. I found and installed libnotify, but then Lotus would not start up. I found that there's a problem with the currently available Debian installer / program for Lotus, and following some advice I found from my Google search, I tried a previous version of the Lotus installer, and everything seems to work fine. I'm making the installer available here for people who need it, since I can't seem to find it on the IBM website.  Details: The current installer is designated for the Lucid version of Ubuntu - symphony_3.0.1-1lucid1_i386.deb - for Ubuntu / Debian versions since March 2010. Installing this in the most recent versions of Ubuntu / Mint Linux (versions 12-14) doesn't work for some people, leading to the following error message - or the program simply won't start up.  .....

Update

Sorry I haven't blogged for so long - been so busy. I'll fill you all in on what's been going on, and after this I won't have much time to post much more this very busy semester. I've been busy running lots of experiments, designing my new one (very tedious and time consuming) and getting it running. I'm not taking or auditing classes since I'm so busy. I'm also a TA for a discussion section of EdPsych 201 (Prof. Zola's Intro to EdPsych) for the first time. A few weeks ago I had to attend the campus-wide TA orientation (for TAs in the past I had only done dept. orientations). It was like an hour's worth of fun and information crammed into two whole days. Ugh, so boring and tired. Since then I've been super busy. I also have to start analyzing data, applying for jobs, and working on my next few dissertation chapters.